Boracay

The (overrated) Island of Boracay

Kicking off summer in Boracay! It was my first time in the coveted island, dubbed as one of the best beaches on the planet and it is indeed! However it’s overrated.

The island is undoubtedly beautiful, its sand is so fine almost powdery. Its waters so exciting it offer almost any activity you can think of. (Swimming, snorkeling, diving, kite and wind surfing, paddle boarding, kayaking, island hopping to mention a few) And its people, striking a smile whenever you come a cross one as if its painted on their faces permanently.

Well, I bet you’ve read those else where except for a couple of things, the island is HIGHLY commercialized ( and I really mean it!), overly crowded and dirty.

Now let’s dissect.

Highly Commercialized.
Establishments almost on the beach and leaving no room for a sand bar. International food chains on the island (unbelievable). And yes everything is pretty expensive.

Overly Crowded.
Not just with Tourists but also with vendors.

It is great that Tourists (Local and Foreign) patronize the island however it also have its consequences, like pollution (noise, air, water) and the island is the one suffering.

And since more Tourists are flocking more micro businesses are also booming (which is good) but in the sense that they are almost in your face and it’s really annoying.

Dirty.
And to top it all off, the island is filthy. Due to commercialization and crowded the island cannot contain its garbage.

All are undeniably true now a days. The island’s glory days are now numbered. The “beautiful island” is now diminishing. So are we just going to watch as THE island fade away? We are all idiots in that sense! Yes we would’ve prevented this to happen but since we can’t turn back time can we just make up on the lost time then? Why don’t we practice being a responsible tourist? [ this is not just for Boracay but goes for every place we visit ] And occasionally remind our government (err even if it’s their ONLY job though) to PROPERLY implement our laws.

Coz who wouldn’t want to go back to an island with:

Almost powder fine white sand.

Bulabog Beach

Bulabog Beach, Boracay Island

Cool waters.

Diniwid Beach

Diniwid Beach, Boracay Island

Breath taking sunset.

White Beach

White Beach, Boracay Island

Lovely people.

Station 1 White Beach

Station 1 White Beach, Boracay Island

And the laid back vibe of an island paradise.

Station 1 White Beach

Station 1 White Beach, Boracay Island

👌

14 thoughts on “The (overrated) Island of Boracay

1. Thelittlelai: Beyond limits says:

I salute you for being honest with what you write which is right. I as well planning to visit Boracay, but recently I heard that it wasn’t as good as what it was before, 5 years ago. I hope they would still continue to value this Island as one of the top island in the world. People should see this as a blessing that they shouldn’t take it for granted.

LaiAriel

2. Teresa Dumadag says:

I had been to Boracay many years ago. I plan to bring my kids there with me in the future. I really hope everyone would do their share in keeping it clean. Sayang naman kung tuluyang masisira ang Boracay. #12

3. Samantha says:

Thanks for your honest opinion about Boracay. I went this past January and I had such a great time! I was staying at a hostel that is closer to Bulabog Beach. I didn’t find the beaches to be dirty at all (I’m sure they clean it everyday) but I did noticed the over-commercialization. That was a little sad. I had a great time though and despite lots of people, I still really enjoyed myself and had no problems!

4. Johna says:

My dad has been telling me that Boracay is a lot different now. According to him it was much more pristine back in thr day. Such a shame 😞 I still haven’t been but I’d still love to go and experience it.

5. Mommy Queenelizabeth says:

Its quite ironic, ive been to other beaches like cebu, palawan and nearby areas but i e never been to Boracay yet. I was planning to visit this next summer and i hope it will push through. The water looks amazing!

6. Stargazer Writes says:

It’s kinda sad that the island that was once famous for each beauty is now deteriorating because of overcrowding. I just wish that residents will limit visitors even if it means losing profit. I just think that profit is nothing if they are going to lose the luster of the island someday. Nonetheless, I would still like to go to Boracay

7. Joanna says:

I have heard that Boracay is one of the most beautiful islands of the Philippines and with that belief in mind, many people go straight there. However, they should know better and keep the island clean and treat it like they would be at home. Because in the end, it’s the people that are ruining the places.

8. chasingbleu says:

I hope this kind of impression about Boracay will change over time. It’s sad because I really love watching pictures and reading reviews about it back then. Now, I totally agree with what you wrote here. There are so many beaches here in the Philippines that is just as stunning as Boracay, and I hope many people would know about them as well 🙂 Suggestion: Try the beaches here in Cebu!!! 🙂