From the Museum to the rest of the Philippines

It all started from a random tag on Facebook to the National Museum of the Philippines and ended up traveling the Philippines.

tboli

I am a very visual person, I love graphics, photos and design. I am fond of learning arts. Around same last year, a friend of mine tagged me on a post by the National Museum of the Philippines about a Basic Photography Class by Master George Tapan. Of course I signed up and was one of the few who were shortlisted. I didn’t really know what to expect so I just went.

FB_IMG_1438683142290

It was great to be around passionate, like minded people and most especially the master. I probably got the best advice of all, “Read the manual of your camera.” Funny as it may sound but it’s simply brilliant, because it’s something we always take for granted wherein you can discover the power and limitations of your camera.

Ansel Adams once said,You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” Not the Photoshop / Lightroom / Snapseed / VCSOCam kind (btw these are just tools to enhance but never alter) but to actually study on how to do the craft. Like what time is the best time when shooting at the beach? or where to place you subject in the frame? (aside from reading the manual hah) Placing the right elements at the right time and conveying the story you want in each frame is how you make a photograph.

To top it off, would be patience. It’s inevitable for an amateur not be uber excited when you say, “alright we’ll have models then you guys can shoot for 5 minutes each model”. You have to find an angle that no one else sees, that is uniquely yours, like a signature shot. And that takes patience.

2tboliandigorot

And lucky me, I was asked to join the two other models and it kick-started my road trip from 12 months ago with the Master.

Btw, if I did not take the photo, I’m on it somewhere. 😀

P.S. more to come!

38 thoughts on “From the Museum to the rest of the Philippines

1. Amazing Life Daily says:

I think the photos are lovely. Overall they are actually above average. The thing with photography is this: A good shot is one where you do not need to use filters or do any editing except to crop and use. It’s a great experience to travel and go to all these places. Will be looking to read more of your posts.

2. laveenasengar says:

Great post. I like the pictures and the attire. It is so colourful and beautiful. I just love dresses in colors and prints. 🙂

3. R U S S says:

A lot of work and thinking go into having a beautiful photograph. Most folks these days heavily rely on filters, but I’m old school and still prefer to get my all my elements right. Everyone can own a camera these days, but not all are photographers. Knowing how and what to frame, the right lighting, setting your ISO and all the other details are important.

4. momi berlin says:

Photographs most of the time tell the story themselves. And those photos narrate beauty and culture, of passion and love. All photos shown are well executed and beautiful, truly go well with the story.

5. Rej Relova says:

Wow! You were able to go on a roadtrip? That’s nice to hear. I’ve seen a photo of you in Albay. That’s my hometown and I’m glad you were able to visit it. 🙂 I’ve been really interested with photography for the past few years but I only use my phone. 🙂

• generosepomelo says:

Yes Albay was amazing will definitely go back! There’s nothing wrong with point and shoot cameras and or mobile cameras for as long as you’re able to convey the story you want. Remember, not all who owns DSLR are pros. 😛

• generosepomelo says:

LOL yes read, practice, practice and practice. Although a DSLR is heavy not to mention if you have extra lens and tripod to bring along while travelling, but non the less it’s worth it after capturing a great moment that can last a lifetime 🙂

6. Jessica Ayun says:

I still believe that the eyes of the person are the real great capturers. A camera is a medium and those Photoshop editing tools are to back you up. I admire people who can transform certain subject in a well-shot photograph. Lots of learnings in photography to get from these people. And oh, loving the road trip the albay photo.

7. mariaisquixotic says:

I’ve been told that I have the “eye” for photography but I think everyone has it. It’s just on a different scale, I guess. The photos are lovely! My fave is the one on top. The accessories are so pretty on you!

It’s been a while since I last had a “shoot” or experienced a photo-walk and would definitely join one if time permits! What camera do you use? 😀

8. Dominic says:

Wow! You had your basic photography lesson with George Tapan!? That’s really awesome. I had my basic photography classes at FPPF in Intramuros. It was really fun and people were competitive there. We also loved the critique session back there because you are being sharpened by everyone.

9. siniciliya says:

Congratulations on being shortlisted and visiting the photography class. As a photographer myself, I totally agree with how you described the visuals. Good luck with your photography in the future.

10. Samantha says:

I am very interested in learning basic photography. At my old job I was in charge of taking photos for certain events, etc. But I really didn’t know what I was doing. I sort of learned as I went and the outcome wasn’t bad. I just want to know more specifics.

11. Marge Gavan says:

I think the advice is applicable to all. Most people don’t really read the manual hahaha… Personally, I only read it after tinkering with something and I still don’t get it.

Anyway, this has been a nice opportunity for you I must say. You were even able to capture photos in the Cordillera Region. Good job.

12. Thelittlelai: Beyond limits says:

I’ve joined a basic photography already for thrice I guess, but I can’t seem to get any progress on my works in photography. I wish I had the eyes just like what others has, maybe I still need to take more and attend more photography lesson. Thank you so much for sharing about this one! Just luck and may you have more photography lesson in the future.

LaiAriel

13. kriswanders says:

I always have a keen interest in photography and I’m still learning the basics. I totally agree about learning to use your camera. I dont think using you DSLR in auto mode everytime you take a picture takes out the potential of what a camera can do. Framing and composition are also needed. 🙂

14. Jojo Vito says:

wow, This reminded me of the first time I got a DSLR and went to a photography workshop. It was conducted by a movie director. I had high expectations then. But the workshop concluded without me learning actually. He has a temper and would shout anytime during the workshop. Well, youtube does the finishing for me. Lol

15. Milton Coyne says:

I really love to know more about photography.. i really enjoy taking photos that’s why I bring my camera with me every time I go out because you can never tell when are you goin to encounter a perfect scene to capture hehe.. in addition to that, i believe that photos do not just capture images but also save memories

16. Mommy Queenelizabeth says:

This is lovely. I’ve been so engrossed with photography years back. I attended basic photo classes and shoots and it was fun! I suddenly missed photowalks. I think the key to getting nice and lovely photos is knowing the right angle… those photos are nice!

17. Stargazer Writes says:

Hello! I am also a visual person, from drawings, to digital graphics and anything in between. I really find you fortunate enough to take part such craft. I must say the pictures found in this article are really lovely. Best of luck in this field!

18. Karla says:

I just bought a new camera and I am really looking forward to learning more about Photography. This looks like a good class. I am used to taking photos with my phone but now I wanna push my skills further

19. Zwitsy says:

the instructions on reading the manual hit me hard. Kind of guilty here. Anyhow, I certainly agree with making the shots. I really love taking pictures it’s just that I am not good at taking shots hahahaa. Well, sometimes. And yep, it takes a lot of patience to take a good shot!