Philippine Culinary

Is Manila, Philippines ready for the Foodies of the world?

¨Manila had been slowly moving toward the direction of culinary exposure as being the ‘it’ destination for food. – Chef José Luis “Chele” González

Manila has recently wrapped up the biggest gastronomy experience, Madrid Fusión Manila 2017, Towards a Sustainable Gastronomic Planet. On it´s third year, this foodie event showcased not only culinary tourism but also farm and argi-tourism models. 2017 focused more on exploration of the transformation of sustainable gastronomy. And at the same time enhancing the cultural traditions and environmental limits. Since 2015, Philippine cuisine has gained traction not only on domestic market but the whole world is interested.

An article from Condé Nast Traveler sited that Manila is attracting award-winning chefs, more so as a culinary destination.

Chef Chele has been in the Philippines for six years. He owns Gallery Vask, where they serve indigenous ingredients with western twist. The restaurant was the only one in the Philippines that made it to the World´s 50 Best Restaurants in Asia list.

¨My role as a foreigner, I should translate anything that I find amazing to a western fusión for a global market,¨ further explained by Chef Chele during a press conference at the Madrid Fusión Manila 2017 Day 1.

Together with Chef Chele were Chef Claud Tayag, a Kapampangan chef and restaurateur who´s advocating regional cuisine; Ms. Cheryl Tiu, an international journalist and media personality who writes mostly about travel and food; Ms. Clang Garcia, a tour operator, publisher and entrepreneur;  Ms. Tina Decal, culinary tour operator; and Ms. Marilen Yaptangco, major tour operator in the Philippines.

Philippine Culinary Tour

Left to right: Chef Claude Tayag, Ms. Cheryl Tiu, Ms. Clang Garcia, Chef Chele Gonzalez, Ms. Tina Decal and Ms. Marilen Yaptangco

Traction wise, Ms. Cheryl Tiu was successful with her venture, Cross Cultures, then as a culinary tour operator Ms. Tina Decal has been getting good number of participants over the years for Kulinarya Tagala and of course Chef Claude´s world class Pampanga culinary experience by rsvp.

Now as the Philippine cuisine get hyped up by these great set of panelists, the big question is, are we ready for the foodies of the world flock in Manila?

One great point was raised by Ms. Clang Garcia that she personally experienced when she was touring the country for her book.

¨I think what DOT needs to invest in the training of specialized culinary guides. When I traveled around the Philippines I was looking for guides, of course there are accredited guides but they are not culinary guides. And that would be a great selling point and there would be a premium for that. Also I want to highlight Culinary Heritage Tourism not just culinary tourism. We have to be able to sell it at a certain price because we should not sell our cuisine cheaply. We wouldn’t want to cheapen our heritage. ¨

Also as cited by Ms. Marilen Yaptangco as a major tour operator in the country, culinary tourism in the Philippines is still on it´s early stages and would have a lot of improvements along the way.

As the Philippine cuisine gets more attention from all over the world, Manila has to keep up to serve all tables for the up coming demand of culinary and gastronomy tours. We have arrived but not quite there yet.

***Cover photo from YouTube | Madrid Fusion Manila

26 thoughts on “Is Manila, Philippines ready for the Foodies of the world?

1. Joanna says:

I think that Philippines has an authentic food scene that needs to be discovered. I am a travel foodie blogger and I would love to experience the Philippine’s traditional cuisine by going to small individual owned restaurants where the traditional cooking is very well respected. Foodie tours have a lot of success in Europe, I am sure they would do very well in the Philippines as well.

• generosepomelo says:

Yes I agree to patronize the small individually owned restaurants however not all foreign travelers are that adventurous to try local cuisine right away, some would go for the fusion. You may want to check out my other post, http://wp.me/p4xEaK-kM and tell me what you think u’d try out to eat!

2. momi berlin says:

I may say the success of food tours reply much on the authentic offerings of.each establishment. Sometimes, it is better to serve authentic dishes than fusion one. That way, even small-time diners or eateries make a nice for themselves because of their true to its taste dishes.

3. Mommy Queenelizabeth says:

What a fun and drooling event. Food tours like this showcases not just the traditional and authentic offerings of each but also the richness of the culture each represents. I agree with Momi Berlin though, i would prefer authentic over fusion..

4. kris says:

True enough, the country has a lot to share when it comes to food. We have a lot of delicacies worth sharing and this is the best way to showcase what we got! The vid shared was as well enticing! I agree that we still have a lot to learn, but with great potential, I’m sure we can get to where we’re heading.

5. mariaisquixotic says:

Surely, all food bloggers or food lovers will be interested by your post! Well, actually, it’s a nice idea to see if we are ready for international foodies or food lovers. I actually think that we are somehow ready but still needs improvement on some aspect. Our country needs to improve on a lot of things and I think this is really one of them.

6. ERICA says:

Food is a very important aspect of a tourist’s experience of a destination. That’s why it is important that the DOT work on improving our Food tourism. I agree with the points raised by the event’s panelists particularly that of Ms. Clang Garcia. I remember when Anthony Bourdain went here and did his segment on Filipino Cuisine, it would have worked better if he had a legit culinary guide.

7. Irma says:

Through your food, you are also displaying your traditions, customs, and culture. So, food can be a very good means for representing your country in a good light. If Manilla started organizing this significant event, then you are on a way to get ready for all the world’s foods in the future.

8. jayresa03 says:

Yes! And I can say that bloggers and influencers has a lot to say on this. People discovered food on their posts and will suddenly asked you where you dine in. Being also in the culinary capital of the Philippines, I’m proud to say that dishes here were not only IG-smart but also loved by your tummy.

9. investmnl says:

I can’t believe that I missed this event. Can you share when and where this event took place– Madrid Fusión Manila 2017?… As for your question, YES! Of all the places I’ve been, I can proudly say that Filipino cuisine is still one of the best. DOT should make a plan on how they can capitalize this area of our culture. 🙂

10. Indrani says:

I am not very aware of the food scene in Philippines. I have been reading about the dishes there and I find them very tempting. Good that it is being promoted on an international level. One more reason for me to make a trip there.

11. chardybaldyosa says:

The Philippines is very much ready for foodies of the world! Everything here is so unique and intricate that most don’t really think it’s special but if you see blog post, social media posts about Filipino cuisine, you would wonder how much people are giving importance and value to it. I swear, I honestly believe that it is the time that the world gives highlight to what we have here and how much it can change the world. 🙂

12. Ana De-Jesus says:

I have to say I don’t really know a lot about fillipino food but I am glad to hear that its cuisine is on the rise. I look forward to seeing them progress and gain more visibility x

13. Violinkit says:

I was not very aware of the cuisine of the Philippines until I read your post there now. It seems like your country has a lot to offer when it comes to food couture. I love the idea of the food tours and would be very interested to take one when I visit there.

14. munniofalltrades says:

I have heard a lot of good things about Manila and Phillipines has a tourist destination but never about the gastronomical experiences available there. It was amazing to read your post for all the in depth info 🙂

15. helerinablogs says:

I don’t know very much about the traditional cuisine of the Philippines…which is exactly why fusion and foodie tours need to happen. I would definitely love to try it and will be looking out for it here in the UK

16. Middle Eats says:

I’ve always wanted to travel to the Philippines so Manilla better be ready for foodies! I know a lot of Fillipino bloggers here in Dubai and their take on food here is wonderful. I have yet to actually try the cuisine despite there being so much on offer in Dubai but there’s an awful lot on my to try list!

17. Yeu Doi says:

Love Filipino food – it is so healthy and yummy! So I am sure the Philipines and Manilla will do well in relation to foodies and cuisines from around the world.

18. Ana Ojha says:

Looks like a fun event! Food plays a significant role in promoting tourism to any place! Though I’ve never explored Philipines food but would love to try it!