carorianbatoislethoppinggenerosepomelo

Carorian, Bato Catanduanes Islet Hopping

Straight from the airport, went to my first adventure, the Carorian Bato Islet Hopping.

The first time I set foot on the island of Catanduanes was almost two years ago. It was one of the road trips I had that year that I´d never forget. It was a 12 hour drive from Manila to Tabaco, Albay. Then aboard a ferry to San Andres, Catanduanes. Plus another hour of driving, then finally Virac. We went there for Lakabay Foto Tourismo of George Tapan. It was a travel photography class by George Tapan during the last Catandungan Festival. Bonded with the locals, I did gain new friends.
After almost two years of liking and commenting on each other´s posts on social media, I decided to buy plane tickets after seeing this post by my new friends.
I could not miss it. Straight from the airport, met with Sir Ferdie Ocol, (one of my new local friends) who was the one who discovered this beauty. Sir Ferdie is a photography enthusiast, was into birding or birdwatching before got into discovering natural attractions in Catanduanes. While having breakfast we were conversing on how Carorian Bato Islet hopping came to life. An adventurer by nature, he was out exploring his home island and saw the potential of these attractions. Yes not just this one.
Carorian Bato Catanduanes
The humble community of Carorian in the town of Bato is the starting point of the islet hopping. When Sir Ferdie was telling the locals that their place is beautiful and can be a tourist attraction they didn´t believe him. Like he was crazy to say that their place is amazingly beautiful. But he was persistent to enlighten them about it´s potential and how the community can benefit from tourism. Soon enough they believed him. The whole community is working hand in hand with the Barangay officials to maintain the everyday operations.
Now, all aboard a boat with the crew and a tour guide off we went islet hopping!
First stop, Patag Islet.
Carorian Patag Islet
Carorian Patag Islet

Would involve a little rock climbing skills here.

Then to Carorian Japanese Kaidan.
Carorian Japanese Kaidan

Kaidan is a Japanese word for stairs.

Next stop, Carorian Seaside Waterfalls.
Carorian Seaside Waterfalls
Then to my fav, Poseidon´s Rock.
Carorian Poseidon´s Rock
Carorian Poseidon´s Rock
The highlight would be the Carorian Cliffs as seen in the video.
Lastly, Pinta Beach.

Pinta Beach #vsco #vscocam

A post shared by Ryan Jay Cua (@ryanjay03) on

There were interesting sights too.
Carorian crocodile

Carorian crocodile islet

Carorian turtle

Carorian turtle islet

Carorian Bato Islet hopping would cost Php 2,500 (roughly USD 50) for the whole boat rental, includes a tour guide and the boat crew and can sit 8-12 tourists. The guides are locals, mostly housewives and the boat crew are the fisher folks. And tourists can request a lunch meal to be prepared by other local help for additional fee. Of course plus gratuity but not required.

Fresh catch for lunch.

Carorian Bato lunch

Having seen Carorian´s wonders with my own eyes was beyond amazing.  And knowing that the whole community is benefiting from this, is the greatest travel satisfaction a traveler can feel. Hope that they can sustain this and maintain balance. Kudos Carorian!

P.S. Thanks to Sir Ferdie and Ryan Cua (another local friend) for  some of the photos. Note to travelers: be mindful of the community may sound as a cliché but take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints.

For more info about Carorian, Bato Islet hopping, check this out.

35 thoughts on “Carorian, Bato Catanduanes Islet Hopping

1. akamatra says:

I often thought of it would feel like to live in such a place. After the high pace of the city life it would be paradise!

2. mariaisquixotic says:

This seems to be a really, really exotic adventure! My fave is the Kaidan and Poseidon’s Rock. I’m from Albay but I honestly haven’t been to Catanduanes. It’s actually one of the nicest places in the country. Just a thought, will you be back there soon? 🙂

3. soulsensecoaching says:

How wonderful that one man’s vision for a town can impact the whole town. It looks beautiful and well worth a visit.

4. Nya says:

The view of Carorian Cliffs looks absolutely amazing! I loved Poseidon’s rock. It looks like it was an interesting adventure. I hope I have a chance to visit it some day.

5. ljdove23 says:

Wow what fantastic travels! These photos are all stunning, I would love to visit one day! Travelling with children is never quite the same though!

6. Thelittlelai: Beyond limits says:

This is truly something the adventure I like. The long hour of bus drive going here is already an adventure, I haven’t heard about this place yet and it caught my attention while reading your blog post. I like the intricate design of those rocks made by nature. It reminds of Biri Island and this one is really unique. i’ll surely find time to reach this place as well. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

7. Nathalie says:

Beautiful place! The Seaside Waterfalls is a unique one too. I don’t think I’ve seen another before. I’m glad I’m able to know places like this through reading other people’s blogs. I know I don’t have the time or patience for the long travel it requires, so this way I get to live vicariously through the blogger (you). 🙂

8. toastycritic says:

It looks like it was such an amazing trip out there. I love waterfalls. It reminds me of so many trips I went to growing up finding waterfalls. I always loved those.

9. Eleanor Llabore says:

Amazing rock formations. This place in Catanduanes is a real paradise. I wish to visit it someday but for now, I feasted my eyes with your beautiful photos. I love the lush greenery and the Poseidon Rock. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

10. alisonrost says:

I can’t believe how beautiful the island of Catanduanes is! Especially the waterfalls and Poseidon´s Rock. How can you ever top Mother Nature?!

11. Teresa Dumadag says:

I’ve never been to the Bicol region or in Catanduanes. Maybe when my kids are older, we can include this in our family field trips. It would be nice to see these one-of-a-kind wonders! I’m happy for you that you got to visit these islets.

12. momi berlin says:

Been wanting to visit Albay for so long but until now haven’t fulfilled that dream. Now there’s another worthy place to visit- Catanduanes. I also love fresh catch, as it signifies the place is indeed friendly to both visitors and its inhabitants- animals or fish included. The Poseidon’s Rock is such a beauty to look at, how I imagine myself coming near it and enjoying its water and rocks.

• generosepomelo says:

Some tour operators include Albay in their itinerary specially if it´s land trip from Manila and back. 2 nights in Catanduanes and 1 night in Albay probably around Php 4,999/person.

13. Martine de Luna says:

Loved your review! I’ve been wanting to see Catanduanes myself, for the same reason that it was because friends and other travel bloggers had been posting about it. Poseidon’s rock is gorgeous, I love how you captured it! I wonder if I can take all
    Those views in as thoroughly as you did! See, i will have to bring both my kids with me if I travel here (and that they are a handful is an understatement!!). Is it kid-friendly?

• generosepomelo says:

When I was there, I saw some group had kids with them during the tour. They use small boats though there are life vests provided. By the way, this part of the island directly faces Pacific ocean so at times, the current might be strong and it´s not advisable for people with motion sickness of sorts. None the less the island is kid friendly.

14. Rahul Khurana says:

This is a gorgeous and amazing place. The video has been shot superbly. I love the boats, tiny waterfall and the big rocks. This place is unlike any other. I am sure you must have had a great time there. 🙂

15. ayawillgoplaces says:

Take me there now! Thanks to the persistance of sir Ferdie, this gem is now known. I didn’t know Catanduanes has something like this. I guess it’s one of perks of living in the Philippines, there’s just too much to see and do. The rock formations are amazing. Will list this down in my to go places

16. alittlechinwag says:

Wow what an AMAZING EXPERIENCE! I really liked the Patag Islet, it looked lovely. I would love to visit a place like this, it would be an unforgettable adventure. I hope to visit in the future.

17. Adel C || wishingbelle.com says:

There’s just too many interesting places in our land that haven’t reached its full potential like this one. I’m awed with your photos! They’re just too gorgeous not to be shown to tourists worldwide. I’m confused, is there an airport for Catanduanes? There should be to get an easy access to Carorian, Bato Islet.

18. Me-An Clemente says:

That’s such an awesome experience! It’s also my first time hearing about Poseidon’s rock. How I wish I can fly to Catanduanes now. It’s also amazing that you took travel photography class under Sir George Tapan. You took gorgeous photos.

19. Nay @ beautyaddictmama says:

Wow! This looks lole a beautiful place to visit and definitely worth the arduous journey. Whilst I can see that the locals will obviously benefit from tourism that Sir Ferdie is helping them with, I hope that it retains its natural beauty!

20. hal says:

looks like a cool experience – the 50dollars doesn’t seem so bad also for the boat as I’m guessing its several hours so its worth it!