5 Must Try Classic Filipino Snacks Only at Villa Escudero 😋 – Updated

In addition to the famous Waterfall Restaurant, Villa Escudero offers mouth watering classic Filipino snacks that would make you re-discover being a Filipino.

Note: Some of these dishes may be available elsewhere, but these are the Villa Escudero’s take on these classic snacks.

5. Sinukmani or Biko

Sinukmani, biko

Biko is the more popular name of this Filipino native delicacy. Made from sticky rice, coconut cream and sugar then topped with caramelized coconut cream or latik. And what makes this sinukmani at the Villa special? It’s the generous amount of coconut cream that goes into every serving. “Fifty coconuts were used for this woven tray of sinukmani!” exclaimed by Chef Cocoy.

4. SGD Coffee with Balikutsa

Admit it, we are a cofee nation. We drink coffee whenever we have a chance and a custom to offer coffee to guests. At the Villa, guests can get a taste of the Villa’s own blend of SGD Coffee. SGD is the only homegrown Philippine coffee that won theMedaille Gourmet during the 3rd International Contest of Coffees Roasted in their Countries of Origin held in Paris last 28th of June. And to make it more Filipino, they offer balikutsa or molasses pulled candy as the sweetener. I first knew about balikutsa when I was in Abra a couple of years ago, and it was really sweet, even sweeter than tira-tira or candied muscovado or brown sugar with coconut milk. But this lovely treat is from Ilocos and more on the nutty taste.

3. Ginumis

Ginumis is probably the early version of the Filipino dessert, halo-halo (mix-mix) only that at the Villa, they serve it without crushed/shaved ice.

2. Sorbet and Ice Cream

This was really a surprise for me, never thought they are making their own sorbet and ice cream! Sampinit or wild berries are abundant in mountainous areas, as the ingredient for their sorbet and ice cream at the Villa, they get it in Mt. Cristobal and Banahaw.

1. Pancit Buko( Stir Fried Coconut Strips )

The meat of a young coconut is stripped like noodles. Surprisingly, the coconut strip was very subtle did not realise it was actually the coconut. Still puzzled on how it would taste? Well, head on to Villa Escudero then!

Disclaimer: These snacks are not available on a regular basis and need to be requested before hand.

Cover photo (12 o’clock then clockwise) Ginumis, Turon with Langka and Ube, Lumpiang Ubod and Puto’t Dinuguan.

11 thoughts on “5 Must Try Classic Filipino Snacks Only at Villa Escudero 😋 – Updated

1. Irma says:

In my country, coffee is a must. It is not an offer, but rather a cult. All the business, talking and finding information goes exclusively with coffee, and whenever someone says: Let’s go for a coffee, you bet he has a pretty strong reason for it, besides enjoying the taste of the coffee, of course. We also have many sweets that come with our favorite potion, but these balikutsas are unfamiliar to me. I would love to have them with my morning coffee.
    I also like the ice-cream, I bet it is magnificent!! 🙂 Filipino cuisine and the restaurants as well, are something I plan to visit and taste in the future.

2. momi berlin says:

I am trying to remember if my elders served a ginumis before. It looks familiar though there are a few ingredients lacking thus cant decide if I’ve tasted something similar. I am curious, though, with the pancit buko. That, for sure, I haven’t tried yet. We’ve been to Villa Escudero two or three times already and haven’t encountered such food. Sayang

3. Amila Wickramarachchi says:

These snacks look really delicious.Ginumis sounds familiar for me,I guess I have tasted a similar dessert in Singapore.At first I thought this Stir Fried Coconut Strips dish is a kind of Pasta/noodle dish.I really love eating fresh young coconut.But,I never heard of eating it as a fried snack.I am sure this tastes much with the creamy flavour of coconut.

4. Joanna says:

I like that the Filipino snacks are based on coconuts, it’s one of the healthiest fruit in the world. I would love to try the Ginumis because it has coconut and tapioca in it. Tapioca is not big in my country so we see it as an exotic food. I’ve never heard of stir fried coconut strips but I imagine they are delicious.

5. jayresa03 says:

I haven’t been in Villa Escudero, but I’m planing to go there soon. I would love to bring my family with me. Do you think it’s ok to bring kids? A baby of 1st yr perhaps?

6. mariaisquixotic says:

I just love staring and learning about more Filipino food. It maybe unusual that some Filipinos love other cuisines but these snacks are really enticing to eat! I haven’t been really to Villa Escudero yet and this really gives me more reason to save to be able to go there! 💙

7. Bea De Guzman says:

I haven’t tried all of the foods you mentioned. I’ve always known Villa Escudero for its waterfalls dining. I didn’t even know na they also offer unaique foods. I’m not into coffee but the other 3 looks so good especially yung ice cream!

8. nicolepaler says:

I’m now more excited to go to Villa Escudero! I don’t think you’ll need cold ginumis here because the water from the falls is said to be pretty cold. I’d love to try this with a side of coffee.. ❤

9. Angelie says:

What is Balikutsa? It’s the first time I heard about it! I would love to try the Pancit Buko because I love coconut! Have you trie Sinigang where they use coconut water for the soup? That’s my all time favorite!

10. Me-An Clemente says:

These are wonderful classic Filipino snacks. I really think my partner would love Pancit Buko so I think it will excite him to go here. Meanwhile, for me, I would like to try the sampinit flavored ice cream. I hope it’s not sour. The ginumis and balikutsa aren’t new since we’ve tried it already before. But I still would like to try their versions especially with the SGD coffee.

11. Milton Coyne says:

Wow , these are really new to me except for the Balikutsa.. I had a chance to taste balikutsa when we went to ilocos but we didn’t try it as a sweetener for coffee… what really intrigued me the most is the Pancit Buko…. i’m really wondering how it tastes like.
    This made me eager to visit Villa Escudero soon… also to see there resto near the waterfalls